Field Study 5#

November 14, 2024

Date and time: 1:00


Present climate conditions: Cloudy, very moist and slight mist.


Temperature: 45 degrees


length of day: 9 hours and 46 minutes


organisms smelled, felt, heard, or seen, etc (sketches/photos/video where possible) 


Water: The water was far clearer than I have seen it in the past; It was like looking into glass. I could see the bottom crystal clear throughout the whole pond, and there was not a trace of any living algae. There were some really small minnows swimming close to the shore, even smaller than any of the other ones i've seen before. This is kind of strange because it is later in the year.


Meadow/Beach: There was just a fresh rain, so there were no tracks by the water. This wet weather caused the moss on the meadow to flourish- it is the only green thing left that still looks like its not dormant. The fungi in the meadow also grew more abundantly after the rain than I would have expected this time of year.


Woods: The woods was very wet and moist, almost like a cold jungle. The leaves on the trees were completely gone, only leaving the pine trees with their needles. Like the meadow, the moss and fungus in the woods was thriving with the wet climate; every single group of them were looking great. There was a decent amount of healthy lichen growing on all of the trees as well.


Changes noticed since last visit: all plants are pretty much dormant, except for the ones that stay active during the winter. The water was the clearest I have seen it so far, and the moss in the meadow was extremely healthy looking. The trees in the woods have finally lost all of their leaves. The fungi in every part of the forest and meadow was looking extremely healthy, probably because of the huge amount of rain that had passed through.  




Answer to last question about me noticing changes in the leaf color and the patterns in it: I noticed that the maple trees changed colors first and dropped leaves, then the oak trees, then the sassafras trees. Those are the main trees in the woods on my plot. It was very hard to observe some of the leaves changing towards the end, though, because we had a few really windy days that blew any loose leaves off the trees.














Sketches 


Photos:




















Pin cushion moss

Lichen of a cherry tree 

More moss

Haircap moss (also shown in sketch)

Mushroom (Also in Sketches above)

Pinecones covered in something. I do not know what they are covered in but it looks really interesting.


Pictures I have been taking since my first field study:

Comments

  1. Don't read the top date- It's wrong. I think the site put it there as my date of publish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Study 3